Paul Thomas Anderson's film Magnolia is an epic of interconnected stories about love and loss, abuse and forgiveness, over the course of a seemingly normal day in Los Angeles, coming together in a stormy, emotional conclusion that is still as shocking and effective today as it was 18 years ago when it was first released.
Following his breakout film Boogie Nights, a film full of period accurate needle drops (and a fairly popular soundtrack album), Anderson took a very different approach with Magnolia. He brought in musician Jon Brion, who would go on to compose Punch-Drunk Love, to pen his first solo film score, and worked with singer/songwriter Aimee Mann to craft original songs based on the film's script, eventually incorporating some of her lyrics into the dialogue in the script.
The soundtrack helped amplify Aimee Mann's solo career, she self-released her essential album Bachelor No. 2 or, the Last Remains of the Dodo shortly after the release of this film, and was finally able to break away from major label ties. Similarly, Jon Brion quickly became a film composition staple shortly after Magnolia's release. After Punch-Drunk, he composed the scores to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and I Heart Huckabees. Both Aimee and Jon's contributions elevate the already unique three hour ensemble drama to a dark, modern take on a classic film musical.
Available for the first time in a single release - and also for the first time on vinyl the soundtrack and score to Magnolia is spread across three LPs
Disc One: Songs by Aimee Mann,
Discs Two and Three: Score by Jon Brion.
Featuring stunning new artwork from João Ruas and pressed on 180 gram Black vinyl.
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £50 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail and DPD Local.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.