Flying Nun vinyl edition of Aldous Harding's self titled album
Aldous is a Christchurch local, whose records are released in New Zealand by Lyttleton records (home of the mighty Marlon Williams and Delaney Davidson).
Lyttelton is a gorgeous port town to the north of Christchurch. A home for Māori for about 700 years, Lyttelton Harbour was discovered by European voyagers passing by on 16 February 1770 during the Endeavour's first voyage to New Zealand. Today it is one of New Zealand’s busiest ports. In popular culture it is best known as the location for most of the exterior scenes in Peter Jackson's 1996 horror movie The Frighteners.It is also a town surrounded by many historic buildings, many of which have been turned into bars.
Aldous Harding’s music has been the best thing that has ever happened to these bars, where wayfaring loners shuffle in at the wrong times of day. She has been the saviour of those falling in home-cooked opium furrows. She has kept sailors in check with cheek and a strong-songed tongue.
And now she will be all yours for an album length period of time, and you may have your picnic and feast upon the music. So lucky one, close your eyes. Turn your nose towards river water. Twitch your ears as rabbits do. Settle in. Listen to this one closely.
This is a special album in the sense that its graceful and subtle qualities form a powerfully emotive listening experience. It uses familiar musical forms to create something quite spooky and entrancing and it is those qualities that will repeatedly draw listeners back for more.” Under the Radar (NZ)
“Don’t tell my wife, but I’ve fallen for another woman.” Rip It Up (NZ)
“This is folk music, simple and bleak (not unlike Melbourne’s own gothic country band, Jimmy Tait), with Harding’s fragile coo reminiscent of retiring, 60s-era folk singers Vashti Bunyan and Linda Perhacs.” Who The Hell.
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £50 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail and DPD Local.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.