'Sittin’ By The Road' captures the earliest known recordings by Blaze, recorded on reel-to-reel in the late 70s, and show the raw talent of his straight and genuine songwriting.
Born in Arkansas, Foley was shot to death way before his time, under circumstances still to be fully clarified. As a homeless, he traveled the streets of the Texan cities to share his music with people in nightclubs and bars. The companion and close friend of Townes Van Zandt always stood up for the weak, which eventually cost his life.
Finally, after a life of rejections and blown opportunities, his work is now gaining recognition. In 2008 his biography Living In The Woods In A Treewas published, followed by Kevin Triplett’s documentary about Foley’s underdog life called Duct Tape Messiah. After the gradual disclosure of many of his unreleased recordings, German independent label eliterecords now release this beautifully crafted edition.
The 12 songs, including hits like Clay Pigeons and If I Could Only Fly – later to be covered by Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard –, showcase Foley’s sound between classic American Country and modern Folk along with his cunning political lyrics and a both punchy and emotional tone.
Today, Foley is admired not only by leading American Folk musicians like Nelson, Haggard or Prine, but also by independent artists like Kings Of Leon-singer Caleb Followill. The latter, in an interview with the L.A. Times in 2010, stated that Blaze Foley’s songs currently were his most important musical inspiration.
Big Cheeseburgers And Good French Fries
Sittin' By The Road
Slow Boat To China
Let Me Ride In Your Big Cadillac
Cold, Cold World
The Way You Smile
Rainbows And Ridges
Faded Loves And Memories
If I Could Only Fly
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £50 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail and DPD Local.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.