We’ve played a lot of shows and it’s senseless to document them all but every once in a while you get the feeling that something special is happening – and that it might only happen once. That’s what it felt like when in 2011 we assembled a group of friends – Four Tet, James Holden, Ahmed Gallab of Sinkane and the quartet of horn players who recorded on ‘Swim’: Kyle Brenders, Colin Fisher, Rob Piilonen and Steve Ward, and the four members of Caribou’s regular touring band - under the name of the Caribou Vibration Ensemble. And that’s why it felt like it would be a good idea to document it.
We gathered for a small tour around ATP’s Nightmare Before Christmas festival in 2011 and the music collected here comprises recordings from two shows – one at Scala, London on Dec 7th, 2011 and one at Concertzaal Vooruit in Ghent, Belgium on Dec 8th, 2011.
Opener ‘Bowls’ is reinvented by combining the album version from ‘Swim’ with elements from James’ Holden’s own remix. The next track ‘Ahmed, Colin, James, Kieran, Kyle, Rob and Steve’ is an improvised collaboration between all the members not in the regular Caribou touring band and features Ahmed’s drum kit triggering all the synthesizer sounds coming from James’ modular synthesizer. The release closes with an epic version of ‘Sun’.
Thanks for listening, Dan Snaith, Caribou
1. Bowls – recorded live at Concertzaal Vooruit in Ghent, Belgium on Dec 8th, 2011.
2. Ahmed, Colin, James, Kieran, Kyle, Rob and Steve – recoded live at Scala in London, UK on Dec 7th, 2011.
3. Sun – recorded live at Concertzaal Vooruit in Ghent, Belgium on Dec 8th, 2011.
The Caribou Vibration Ensemble is:
Kyle Brenders - soprano saxophone Colin Fisher - tenor saxophone Ahmed Gallab - drum kit, electronic drum triggers Kieran Hebden - electronics, synthesizer James Holden - modular synthesizer Rob Piilonen – flute John Schmersal - vocals, bass guitar Ryan Smith - electric guitar, synthesizer Dan Snaith - vocals, synthesizer, electric guitar Steve Ward – trombone Brad Weber - drum kit
Comes in clear sleeve with a poster designed by Jason Evans and Matthew Cooper. Limited Quantities.
Free Delivery on all UK orders over £50
The Drift Record Shop happily ship all items Worldwide.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
Click & Collect
On all orders we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
We try and keep all costs down and also waste as little as possible by recycling envelopes wherever we can.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.