To mark the announcement, Watson is streaming ‘Abandoned Buick’, the second track to be taken from the album following the release of the BBC 6 Music playlisted ‘No Fanfare’. ‘Abandoned Buick’ came about through a chance introduction to a Yamaha YC30. “The band Mates of State left a Yamaha YC30 at the Moshi Moshi Records HQ a few years ago and somehow I’ve ended up babysitting the thing,” explains Watson on the making of the track. “I love this thing so much. The fuzz setting through a Fender amp is basically the most pleasing sounding thing I’ve ever heard. That’s what does the riff on ‘Abandoned Buick’. Thanks Mates of State, please don’t come back for it.”
Not only is this Watson’s solo debut but it also marks his first foray into production. Exploring his relationship with traditional harmony singing, Watson worked with sampled versions of his own voice to create unusual vocal textures.
A former writing student of Central St Martins and The Faber Academy, Watson uses his own fiction writing as a spring board for his lyrics, a method he has also used for his previous records. The new album takes inspiration from the reoccurring themes and language of the JG Ballard novel 'Hello America'. Now That I’m A River was co-produced by Watson with longtime collaborator David Glover at Tesla Studios in Sheffield and features a hand-picked band, including Guillemot's Fyfe Dangerfield and Hot Club De Paris' Paul Rafferty. Rozi Plain and members of The Deep Throat Choir and Trashkit also make an appearance on the album title track 'Now That I'm A River'.
We have some of the amazing Moshi Moshi 'When Your Band is Too Big to Be Cool But Too Small To Be Big' CD samplers to give away with this album.
1. Voices Carry Through The Mist
2. Now That I'm A River
3. You've Got Your Way Of Leaving
4. Love Is Blue
6. No Fanfare
7. Abandoned Buick
8. Run And Hide
10. Everything Goes Right
Free Delivery on all UK orders over £50
The Drift Record Shop happily ship all items Worldwide.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
Click & Collect
On all orders we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
We try and keep all costs down and also waste as little as possible by recycling envelopes wherever we can.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.