New LP from Indiana folklorist Joseph O’Connell.
Limited edition version pressed on white vinyl for Indie stores only. LP includes 11” square insert and download.
Some thoughts from Joe O’Connell on his project's new album: The album title is 'Genericana'. To me, that roughly means "the stuff from which stuff generates." It's a short hand way of evoking all the elements that I'm mashing up in this music. The idea is basically that it's this collision of genres, and collision of different versions of 'American music.' It's also an album that doesn't fit very neatly into a category of album — studio? live? remix? Maybe all, or none, of the above.
This is a new mutant variety of Elephant Micah, better suited to survive the cultural climate of the moment in so-called 'Trump's America.' It lives! I guess the lodestone in the process of making this was the kind of global avant garde mood that's prevalent in a lot of 1980s albums I admire. Things like Joni Mitchell's Dog Eat Dog and Arthur Russell's Calling Out of Context.
These records where singers were making really eclectic and outward looking productions - writing *through* the process of recording, and literally *playing* with technologies that were totally new to them. All the gear that I gathered to make the album was basically discarded or devalued. I got a bunch of stuff from Craigslist that interested me: a cheap FM synth, some Hindustani electronics, and an old three-head tape deck to use as a 'poor man's space echo.' The icing on the cake is a one-of-a-kind homemade digital synthesizer called "The Mutant".
I worked with my brother to design it. He built it and coded it. The concept of the synth is parallel to the concept of the album itself. It's an electronic take on 'folk' sounds (bends, drones, modal playing) and folk creative approaches (a cobbling together and reformatting of existing elements).
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £50 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail and DPD Local.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.