Factory Floor were originally commissioned by London’s Science Museum, to write a brand new live score for Fritz Lang’s 1927 silent cinematic landmark, 'Metropolis'. The 150 minute score was performed live at the Science Museum’s IMAX in April 2017, coinciding with the 90th anniversary release of 'Metropolis' and as part of the acclaimed Robots exhibition and event series. Heart of Data and Babel will be the first 12” release on Factory Floor’s own imprint H/O/D Records.
The label was originally set up by the band with Cargo distribution in view of having an outlet for there collaborative projects, an idea that came into phase during their residency at London’s ICA in 2011. An inspired six and half minute track, 'Heart of Data' bears all the hallmarks of a Factory Floor record but as you’ve never heard them before.
An animated modular synth groove sets in motion the atmospheric textures within the spacial arrangement. The b side Babel which traverses many scenes in the film, retains a transient meditative pulse in pursuit of space and time. Both bring together an emotive relationship between the machine like qualities of their instruments and visual images provided by Fritz Lang’s industrial masterpiece.
Following the success of the London Science Museum event, Factory Floor’s reimagined Metropolis score was performed live at Sheffield’s Sensoria Festival in October 2017 and the recorded audio was showcased at the Brighton Film Festival at the Attenborough Centre for creative arts on November 2017.
The H/O/D label art was designed by British artist Haroon Mirza, adapted by Sam Moore and Nik Void.
Factory Floor are Gabriel Gurnsey and Nik Void, whose electronic improvisational style of performance has seen them at home in gallery spaces like Tate Modern, to clubs like fabric and Berghain to a remote volcanic Island of Stromboli in collaboratioN
with artist Haroon Mirza. Their critically acclaimed second album '25 25' was released in the summer of 2016 on DFA Records.
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £50 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail and DPD Local.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.