Fairhazel is the moniker of London-based musical nomad Hugh Macdonald, who releases 7x7, his exciting debut effort, as the final release of Communion’s Singles Club series.
Raised in Cape Town, London and Paris, Fairhazel takes inspiration from the many different cultures surrounding him during his youth. The cobbled streets of Paris, the openness of Cape Town, the introversion of London - all this feeds into his music, which blurs genre lines, combining both minimalist production and expansive instrumentation.
Fairhazel has spent the past few years Stateside, crossing the pond to attend Boston’s prestigious Berklee College of Music, following in the footsteps of musical trailblazers ranging from St Vincent and Quincy Jones to Ramin Djawadi, the man behind the Game Of Thrones theme.
Releasing music under his birth name for several years, Fairhazel has performed at TEDx talks and for Sofar, as well as playing countless gigs across the US and the UK. But while it was in Boston where his musical talents developed, it’s in London that his new project has fully taken shape.
New single 7x7 draws inspiration from the Bardo Thodol, the Tibetan Book of the Dead, which details a Buddhist’s journey from death to reincarnation. Similarly, the song acts as a perfect introduction to the birth of Fairhazel.
7x7 showcases Fairhazel’s hushed, reverent tones, reminiscent of Illinois-era Sufjan Stevens, as he sings of “breaking free” from “routine days” to a place of enlightened “knowledge of humanity”.
Likewise, The Director’s Daughter, the B-side of the release, details similarly profound journeys, both literal and figurative, searching for love and meaning while exploring new places and relationships.
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.