Isolation is nothing new for Fenne Lily – in fact, she’s written an album of songs all about it. “It’s kind of like writing a letter, and leaving it in a book that you know you’ll get out when you’re sad – like a message to yourself in the future,” she says. BREACH her debut for Dead Oceans, written during a period of self-enforced isolation pre-COVID, is an expansive, diary of a record that deals with the mess and the catharsis of entering your 20s and finding peace while being alone.
“I think this record is proof that I can be emotionally stable, even if right now I feel a little bit up and down,” says Fenne. “There’s the ability to find clarity in that. It’s sobering, weirdly.”
Fenne was born in London and moved to Dorset as a toddler, where she grew up in the picturesque English countryside. She was a 'free range kid'. as she describes herself, after her parents took her out of school for a period at the age of seven. Over the following year she was home schooled while the family travelled Europe in a live-in bus. Even after she returned to traditional school at 9, her home education never ended, extending to music. Her mother gifted Fenne with her old record collection, through which she discovered her love for T-Rex and the Velvet Underground and Nico. Fenne lists PJ Harvey, Nick Drake and Joni Mitchell and Feist as later influences that inspired her to take up the guitar.
It’s that journey to find peace inside herself that underpins the whole of Fenne’s second album (her debut for Dead Oceans). Its title, BREACH, occurred to Fenne after deep conversations with her mum about her birth, during which she was breech, or upside down in the womb. The slippery double-sidedness of the word – which, spelled with an 'A', means to 'break through' – drew her in. “That feels like what I was doing in this record; I was breaking through a wall that I built for myself, keeping myself safe, and dealing with the downside of feeling lonely and alone. I realized that I am comfortable in myself, and I don’t need to fixate on relationships to make myself feel like I have something to talk about. I felt like I broke through a mental barrier in that respect.” Even though it also carries implications of awkwardness, rebellion, and breakage, it’s a wide-reaching word, representing new beginnings and birth.
Indies Exclusive LP Edition on Flame Orange Opaque Vinyl
1. To Be a Woman Pt. 1
5. I, Nietzsche
7. Blood Moon
9. I Used To Hate My Body But Now I Just Hate You
11. Someone Else’s Trees
12. Laundry And Jet Lag
- About Drift
+ Free Shipping
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering - specifically preorder items - then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items to your box, up to the point we ship it to you, but this is not automated so it's always important to tell us you are doing this.
+ Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option for you to come and collect your order in Totnes. You will be offered shipping and click & collect options during the checkout process. More info here.
* If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
* If you are adding to an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
* We aim to dispatch orders placed before 1pm, on the same day.
* We ship outside the UK with DHL.
* For all shoppers in the USA and in the EU, we offer Royal Mail's International Business Parcel Tracked service for your releases. We also offer the more premium DHL Express service.
* We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
* Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
* Royal Mail First Class services do not have tracking.
* Royal Mail Tracked 24® does include end-to-end tracking.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Royal Mail Tracked 24®
End-to-end tracking and next-day delivery
✔️ End-to-end tracking
✔️ SMS or email notifications
✔️ Next working day delivery aim
✔️ Compensation cover up to £100
✔️ Change your delivery options before delivery is attempted
International Business Parcel Tracked
✔️ Track your package every step of the way
✔️ Signature on delivery
✔️ Free tracked returns for undelivered items
✔️ Compensation cover up to £100
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.