'Apollonia' is the debut album from Garden City Movement, a trio of artists - Roy Avital, Yoav Saar and Johnny Sharoni, who produce a blend of sounds drawn from their diverse cultural worlds; ranging from art-pop to experimental house to horizontally-aligned vibes. Since surfacing late in 2013 with their breakout track Move On, Garden City Movement have released 'Entertainment' and 'Bengali Cinema' EPs, 'Modern West' on 12” in collaboration with The Vinyl Factory, climbed the Hype Machine Popular Chart with multiple singles, recorded live sessions for Boiler Room, Majestic Casual and FACT, opened for Bonobo, Caribou, Alt-J and played all over the world.
Recording through 2017 at their studio in Tel Aviv, Garden City Movement took the time to explore their sound as a band. From the combination of dream-like vocals and cinematic-RnB in singles 'Slightly All The Time', 'Before I Fall' and 'A Means To An End' to the leftfield four-four of 'Mediterranea' and 'Sans Titre' or the ethereal jazz of 'I Knew Before I Met Her (That One Day I Would Lose Her)' and worldly influences of the title track - the heightened craft in their production is firmly felt across the album’s 18 tracks.
“After releasing three EPs, which each had a very tight deadline, recording the album has been a chance to grow. It’s the first time we have been able to really take the time and experiment a lot in the studio; try to develop and deepen our language, come up with new sounds, and take our techniques even further”. - Garden City Movement
The album takes a darker path lyrically, exploring the breakdown of a fading relationship and the depression, loneliness and abuse that follows. While not explicit, this melancholy grounds the album in the real world. The fusion of forward facing production and confessional account of human-interaction frames an emotional and honest album of modern soul music
Indies only edition pressed on white vinyl
2. Passion is A Dying Theme
3. Before I Fall
4. Ueno Park
5. Slightly All The Time
6. A Means To An End
7. I Knew Before I Met Her (That One Day I Would Lose Her)
9. Foreign Affair
10. For Tomorrow
11. What if You Can't Win?
13. Bitter Moon
17. Sans Titre
18. Santal 33
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £50 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail and DPD Local.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.