Gary Numan is a pioneer, and his influence on so many artists is unmistakable and grand. Gary’s style connects him with fans of multiple genres... electronic, industrial, indie-rock, metal, etc. He remains an innovator, and his fan base continues to grow. Beggars Banquet release two special titles to commemorate the 40th anniversary of these legendary albums Gary Numan/Tubeway Army issued in 1979
Replicas: The First Recordings, and The Pleasure Principle: The First Recordings.
While both of these albums have remained in print, these releases concentrate on the early recordings made prior to the completed albums and present the evolution of the albums. The tracks have been sequenced as they appeared on the original tapes and the audio has been taken from the high resolution digital transfers made by John Dent in 2007. One of the Freerange studio tapes suffered irreparable print through damage on two tracks so they were not used in the 2009 release. However an alternative source has been located so the tapes can now be presented as complete for this release.
In late 1978, Gary Numan was booked into a small studio in London’s Chinatown with the same musicians that had played on Tubeway Army’s debut album, released a month earlier. Two stereo master tapes were compiled of eleven tracks. A month later they again went to Gooseberry Studio and recorded an additional three tracks, including 'Are ‘Friends’ Electric?' and 'Replicas'. At the same time, the band recorded a session for the BBC’s John Peel show, taping alternate versions of three songs from the December recordings. Finally Numan returned to an upgraded studio, Marthus Music, in February to overdub and remix the Gooseberry recordings into their released versions. Only one alternative out take still exists ('Down In The Park') which is included in this release.
Replicas: The First Recordings
1. You Are In My Vision (Early Version)
2. The Machmen (Early Version)
3. Down In The Park (Early Version)
4. Do You Need The Service? (Early Version)
5. The Crazies
6. When The Machines Rock (Early Version)
7. Me! I Disconnect From You (Early Version)
8. Praying To The Aliens (Early Version)
9.It Must Have Been Years (Early Version)
10. Only A Downstat
11. I Nearly Married A Human 3 (Early Version)
12. Replicas (Early Version)
13. Are ‘Friends’ Electric? (Early Version)
1. Replicas (Early Version 2)
2. Down In The Park (Early Version 2)
3. Are ‘Friends’ Electric? (Early Version 2)
4. We Have A Technical
5. Replicas (Early Version 3)
6. Me, I Disconnect From You (BBC Peel Session)
7. Down In The Park (BBC Peel Session)
8. I Nearly Married a Human (BBC Peel Session)
A1. You Are In My Vision (Early Version)
A2. The Machmen (Early Version)
A3. Down In The Park (Early Version)
A4. Do You Need The Service? (Early Version)
A5. The Crazies
A6. When The Machines Rock (Early Version)
B1. Me! I Disconnect From You (Early Version)
B2. Praying To The Aliens (Early Version)
B3. It Must Have Been Years (Early Version)
B4. Only A Downstat
B5. I Nearly Married A Human 3 (Early Version)
C1. Replicas (Early Version)
C2. Are ‘Friends’ Electric? (Early Version)
C3. We Have A Technical
C4. Down In The Park (Outtake mix)
D1. Are ‘Friends’ Electric? (Early Version 2)
D2. Replicas (Early Version 2)
D3. Me, I Disconnect From You (BBC Peel Session)
D4. Down In The Park (BBC Peel Session)
D5. I Nearly Married a Human (BBC Peel Session)
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.