Guitar-and-bass duo Gong Gong Gong (工工工) charges out from Beijing’s underground scene with a distinct vision and uncompromising sense of purpose. The group unites musical cultures, drawing on inspirations as wide-ranging as Bo Diddley, Cantonese opera, West African desert blues, drone, and electronic music.
On their debut LP, 'Phantom Rhythm' (幽靈節奏), the locomotive chug of Tom Ng’s guitar combines with Joshua Frank’s thump- ing, harmonics-laden bass lines to conjure an aura of ghostly snare hits and timpani overtones. Over Frank’s enigmatic melodies, Ng sings in Cantonese, piecing together abstract tales of absurdity, doubt, desire, and lust.
Synchronized to the point of near-telepathy, the band use their minimalistic tools and idiosyncratic playing style to challenge the notions of rock ‘n’ roll and strip the form down to its bare essentials: rhythm, melody, and grit.
Formed in 2015, the band’s earliest shows were in Beijing underpass tunnels and DIY spaces - Ng and Frank both being outsiders who call the city their home. Born in Hong Kong, Ng defiantly sings in his native tongue, while Frank, originally from Montreal, has lived in Beijing on and off since childhood.
'Phantom Rythm' follows the release of Gong Gong Gong’s 'Siren' 7” and the band’s subsequent tour of the UK and Europe with Brooklyn’s Bodega.
“Their work is spare and savage, with Ng’s Cantonese singing uncannily evoking a heavily accented British punk.” — The New Yorker.
“Transnational blues with swarming psychedelic borders.” — Stereogum.
“A totalizing soundscape that brings to mind a pure immersion in a foreign land... An exceedingly rare experience in any genre or medium.” — Interview Magazine.
1. The Last Note
2. Notes Underground
3. Ride Your Horse
5. Inner Reaches
6. Gong Gong Gong Blues
7. Wei Wei Wei
8. Some Kind of Demon
9. Night’s Colour (Chongqing)
10. Sound of Love
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.