A bona fide legend of the acid jazz / jazz funk scene, James Taylor returns with a stunning new James Taylor Quartet record, 'People Get Ready (We’re Moving On)'. An absolute sonic marvel of a record, particularly when listening on vinyl, it ties together the effortless melodic funk of the quartet, the fullness of sound that only an orchestra can bring, high quality commercial song-writing and the staggering vocal talents of Noel McKoy and Natalie Williams.
In the Artist's words: -
“Along with a desire to develop the breakthrough sound of JTQ + orchestra debuted on Soundtrack of Electric Black, I also wanted to make a record to showcase outstanding soul voices. Reaching back and re-examining the crossover work I did thirty years ago with the UK’s finest soul singer Noel McKoy, combined with the discovery of the stunning soulful vocal talent in the form of Natalie Williams, I was drawn to write a funk vocal album for these outstanding voices, but now incorporating these new orchestral ideas.
With JTQ still gigging heavily, we have developed our sound and matured to become rhythmically stronger than ever. Coupling this with the supercharged support of Audio Network which gave us access to Abbey Road Studios, we had the perfect recipe for creating something special. I hope you enjoy this album half as much as we did making it! People….Get Ready….We’ve moved on!“ James Taylor, 2020
A British jazz funk icon and renowned for his Hammond organ sound, James Taylor recorded this “dream project” at London's Abbey Road Studios with a string orchestra and two UK soul sensations in Natalie and Noel, the latter with who he previously worked when helping to carve out the Acid Jazz sound back in the early 1990s.
For those of you hearing James Taylor Quartet for the first time, his career as JTQ - of which the group is most fondly known - dates back to the late & 90s. Take a quick glance at the labels he's recorded for - Gearbox, Acid Jazz, Ubiquity, Freestyle Records and Record Kicks - some of the most revered in the wider jazz and funk categories, and it gives you an idea of the level of respect he has garnered over a career that places him in a category all of his own.
1. A Giant Leap
2. Who’s Gonna Break The News? feat. Natalie Williams
3. People Get Ready (We’re Moving On)
4. Get Out And Walk
5. Boogie On Through The Night
6. Street Hustle Interlude
7. Smokin’ The Future feat. Noel McKoy
8. Living On The Front Line feat. Natalie Williams
10. Baby Come Back feat. Noel McKoy
11. Tomorrow’s Sun
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.