On March 4, 1975, Jim Sullivan mysteriously disappeared outside Santa Rosa, New Mexico. His VW bug was found abandoned, his motel room untouched. Some think he got lost. Some think the mafia bumped him off. Some even think he was abducted by aliens. By coincidence–or perhaps not–Jim’s 1969 debut album was titled U.F.O.. Released in tiny numbers on a private label, it too was truly lost until Light In The Attic Records began a years-long quest to re-release it–and to solve the mystery of Sullivan’s disappearance. Only one of those things happened, and you can guess which…
Light In The Attic’s reissue of U.F.O. introduced the World to an overlooked masterwork and won him, posthumously (presumably), legions of new fans. Those new admirers are in for a real treat: a lavish, first-time release of a previously unheard 1969 studio session.
If The Evening Were Dawn contains 10 acoustic solo recordings that have never seen the light of day. Whereas U.F.O. was bolstered by legendary sessioneers The Wrecking Crew, this is Jim Sullivan on his own terms, stripped down and soulful as ever. Recorded at a Los Angeles studio circa 1969, the session contains acoustic versions of a handful of U.F.O. tracks alongside a half dozen previously unheard songs. This, then, is the closest thing to those fabled Malibu bar performances at which Sullivan was first noticed. According to his widow, Barbara, this was the album Jim always hoped to record. It serves as an unprecedented glimpse into the mysterious, larger-than-life figure who’s become the stuff of legends.
While Sullivan’s disappearance remains unsolved, his music endures and is finally gaining him the recognition he deserves, albeit long overdue. This recording serves as an unexpected missing piece of the puzzle; this is Jim Sullivan’s true swan song.
* Mastered from the original analog tapes.
* Booklet with liner notes and rare archive photos.
* Deluxe Stoughton “tip-on” jacket with debossing.
* All tracks previously unreleased
Tracklist: Roll Back The Time, Sandman, Walls, Jerome, What To Tell Her, Grandpa's Trip, So Natural, Whistle Stop / Mama, What Is My Name, Close My Eyes
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.