Originally released just as Jóhann’s star was rising in the world of modern composition, Fordlândia is a beautiful meld of strings and electronics, with two themes running throughout; “This album is like a film with two separate story lines that at first don't seem to have a lot to do with each other, but actually they do,” said Jóhann at the time.
The idea of failed utopias is the main thread, with the album’s title is a reference to the Fordlândia rubber plantation in Brazil that Henry Ford built with grand plans in the mid-1920s but abandoned after a mere eight years at a huge cost and without a single tire for one of his cars having been produced. The collision of mysticism and rocket science is the other theme explored – made apparent by song titles such as ‘The Rocket Builder (Lo Pan!)’ and ‘Melodia (Guidelines for a Space Propulsion Device Based on Heim’s Quantum Theory)’ – a topic Jóhann was fascinated by at the time of writing this album, keenly studying the leftfield works of John Whiteside Parsons and Burkhard Heim.
Previously only available on vinyl as a small run pressed by Jóhann himself on his NTOV label, this new pressing comes spread across two 180g pieces of black vinyl and is housed in a beautiful gatefold sleeve. This pressing has been mastered by Bo Kondren at Calyx and the artwork has been adapted from his original design by Chris Bigg.
A2 melodia (ii)
B1 THE ROCKET BUILDER (LO PAN!)
B2 melodia (ii)
B3 FORDLANDIA - AERIAL VIEW
B4 melodia (iii)
C2 melodia (iv)
C3 THE GREAT GOD PAN IS DEAD
C4 MELODIA (GUIDELINES FOR A SPACE PROPULSION DEVICE BASED ON HEIM’S QUANTUM THEORY)
D1 HOW WE LEFT FORDLANDIA
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.