In 1977 Savage photographed streets around North Kensington in west London, which, like much of the inner city, had remained derelict since the area was bombed in the Second World War. These served as a visual backdrop for collages in the punk fanzine London’s Outrage, which he edited. He said punk music ‘seemed to point towards this idea of empty urban space’. The novels of JG Ballard also inspired him: ‘It was this empty, deserted, depressing, kind of dystopian view of London that seemed to be coming up to the surface.’ Savage was a key figure in the punk scene and is an important authority on the movement. – Tate Britain
Jon Savage is the author of England’s Dreaming: Sex Pistols and Punk Rock, Teenage: The Creation of Youth 1875-1945 and 1966: The Year that the Decade Exploded. His films (as writer/ consultant) include The Brian Epstein Story, Joy Division, Teenage and 1966: It Was Fifty Years Ago. He is currently working on An Oral History of Joy Division and the fourth in a series of compilations on Ace Records: 1965, 1966, 1967 and now 1968.
First edition press is limited to 500 copies
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £50 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail and DPD Local.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.