German Jazz pianist Jutta Hipp remains one of the most intriguing yet little-known figures in Blue Note history. A unique and short-lived presence on the NYC Jazz scene in the mid-1950s, Hipp moved to the U.S. with the aid of critic Leonard Feather and recorded a series of Blue Note releases that culminated with Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims, a sublime date with the feeling of high-level blowing session featuring tenor saxophonist Zoot Sims, trumpeter Jerry Lloyd, bassist Ahmed Abdul-Malik, and drummer Ed Thigpen. Highlights of the set including the up-tempo opener “Just Blues” and the gorgeous ballad “Violets for Your Furs,” and the album—which features a seminal graphic cover design by Reid Miles—turned out to be her final recording as Hipp left the music scene shortly thereafter.
This Blue Note 80 Vinyl Edition is all-analog, mastered by Kevin Gray from the original master tapes, and pressed on 180g vinyl at Optimal.
Violets For Your Furs
Almost Like Being In Love
Too Close For Comfort
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.