Limited Indies Only LP Edition on Mint Green vinyl
Lianne La Havas new self titled album is her third and her first in five years. It is an album of startling beauty and insight, made entirely on her own terms which has been quite a journey. In one sense, geographically, La Havas spent a lot of time moving back and forth between the UK and the States, working on writing and exploring her own identity. The resulting album , Lianne La Havas, feels spacious and luminous, with It's sunbaked sounds recalling, in places, the Brazilian singer, songwriter, and guitarist Milton Nascimento (on track 'Seven Times'). You might also hear the curveball chords of Joni Mitchell and Jaco Pastorious’s jazz explorations ('Green Papaya'), or the puttering drums and inviting warmth of golden era Al Green ('Read My Mind'). Throughout the record, there’s a sense of empowerment that has its roots in the crisp ‘90s R&B of Destiny’s Child.
After relentless touring and promoting of her first two albums as well as personal and emotional events in her life, it was becoming increasingly difficult to find time, inspiration and confidence to get back in the studio for a follow up. Talking about the albums inspiration, La Havas says: “What plays a big role in the album is the idea of the life cycle of plants and nature equating this journey with a seasonal thing that blooms, thrives, goes away, and comes back even stronger,” Over the five years it took for the album to come together, she found herself watching the changing foliage outside her window in south London, struck by how she was growing and changing herself—not always comfortably. “A flower has to dry up and die in order to be reborn. You have to get to the rock bottom to rebuild yourself.”
The confidence that La Havas has cultivated, both personally and creatively, is audible in Lianne La Havas - a record that feels utterly real, a living, breathing thing.
2. Read My Mind
3. Green Papaya
4. Can’t fight
5. Paper Thin
6. Out Of Your Mind (Interlude)
7. Weird Fishes
8. Please Don’t Make Me Cry
9. Seven Times
11. Sour Flower
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.