'Loud Patterns' is the debut album from Makeness, one Kyle Molleson, from Scotland. Crafting tracks which make a virtue of disparate influences, Kyle manages to pull off something difficult: songs which have been tirelessly worked on, although sound loose-limbed and to-the-point.
'Loud Patterns' is noticeably indebted to house and techno; there are 4/4 rhythms, and a no-nonsense directness that harks back to the Detroit pioneers. Channeling avant-garde experimentalism and an outsider’s interest in pop, Kyle embraces the distance between those two poles.
'Cosmic Slop', an underground institution in Leeds, was another touchstone. As Kyle recalls, “That place was definitely an awakening in terms of dance music.” It boasts a hand-built, peerless soundsystem, a near-pitch black dancefloor and a music policy that ranges from Dilla instrumentals to Detroit house.
Loud Patterns arrives after a series of releases that have established his particular, in-between approach to dance-minded music. He put out two EPs on Manchester-based imprint Handsome Dad, a one-off single with Adult Jazz and self-released 'Temple Works' EP; Whities also released a limited-edition white label of a 'Minor Science' dub of one of his tracks.
The lead single on the album is 'Stepping Out Of Sync.' “‘Stepping Out Of Sync’ for me is about losing a little bit of a grip on reality,” says Kyle. “There’s a big nod to the world of pop music in the track."
Fire Behind the Two Louis
Who Am I to Follow Love
Stepping Out of Sync
The Bass Rock
Day Old Death
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £50 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail and DPD Local.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.