Maria McKee has been out of the proverbial spotlight for some time, her creative talents re-engaging with her first love of acting, performance and the musical tapestries that accompany such activities. Candid and passionate, she has, quite simply, had a beatific awakening and in a crescendo of prose. Her new album La Vita Nuova unlocks her story, sketching out her journey that began long ago when she sang in her bedroom with her older brother, the late, great musical innovator Bryan MacLean. Along the way she retooled punk and country in Lone Justice, released a string of evocative and eclectic solo records, wrote chart topping hits and touched millions of people before seemingly disappearing…
Some of the new album sounds like modern show tunes for musical extravaganzas that are still to be penned. ‘Little Beast’ is almost Disney-esque and ‘I Should Have Looked Away’ has a real stagey feel to it. Title track ‘La Vita Nouva’ and ‘Let Me Forget’ are all beautifully written stories of relationships in various states of evolution or disrepair. And, ‘However Worn’ is like a slice of American gothic. A homage to new life, the completion of ‘La Vita Nuova’ saw Maria’s life entirely change and illustrates an important period in the artist’s life.
“It’s a really personal record; all I can do is tell my story. People can find their own meaning in it, taking them deeper, perhaps, into something they need to experience, I think that’s what music and art does.”
Limited edition Indies only Double White Vinyl in Gatefold sleeve
CD is Limited Edition Bookback CD
A1 Effigy of Salt
A2 Page of Cups
A3 Let Me Forget
A4 I Should Have Looked Away
B1 Right Down to the Heart of London
B2 La Vita Nuova
B3 Little Beast
C2 Ceann Bró
C3 The Last Boy
D1 I Never Asked
D2 I Just Want to Know That You're Alright
D4 However Worn
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.