A 2019 remastered edition of Mark Hollis' stunning self-titled solo LP.
The only solo album by former Talk Talk frontman Mark Hollis, released January 1998. Despite being released as a solo album by Hollis, it was originally intended to be credited to Talk Talk, under the name ‘Mountains of the Moon’.
A beautiful and haunting work, this album picks up where he left off with Talk Talk’s’ Laughing Stock’ seven years before, re-emerging with a suite of music that encompassed jazz, ambient, and folk.
His inspiration came not from ‘pop’ but 20th-century classical music and jazz from the late fifties and sixties (there is a distinct flavour of Miles Davis – ‘In A Silent Way’ here) and is one of the quietest and most intimate records ever made – creating an exceptional atmosphere in which the listener can submerge.
A Life (1895 – 1915), which has been referred to as “the album’s epic centrepiece” refers to Roland Leighton (1895–1915), a British soldier and poet who was the fiancé of Vera Brittain at the time of his death in World War I. Hollis has stated about the song…“That was someone born before the turn of the century…and dying within one year of the First World War at a young age. It was based on Vera Brittain’s boyfriend. It’s the expectation that must have been in existence at the turn of the century, the patriotism that must’ve existed at the start of the war and the disillusionment that must’ve come immediately afterwards. It’s the very severe mood swings that fascinated me”.
The understated artistry and minimalist beauty of tracks like The Colour of Spring and Watershed makes ‘Mark Hollis’ a truly unique and indelible listening experience. This genuine classic is now available again on heavyweight vinyl, with original artwork – printed inner sleeve with lyrics and credits. Remastered at Abbey Road.
The Colour Of Spring
Inside Looking Out
A Life (1895-1915)
The Daily Planet
A New Jerusalem
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.