Nérija are the septet of Nubya Garcia (tenor saxophone), Sheila Maurice-Grey (trumpet), Cassie Kinoshi (alto saxophone), Rosie Turton (trombone), Shirley Tetteh (guitar), Lizy Exell (drums) and Rio Kai (bass). Nérija is a project rooted in friendship. In fact, that’s the only way it can survive – a seven-piece jazz collective, their breakneck shifts in tempo and style rely on a deep understanding of mood, temperament and expression, a solid show of trust that extends beyond the usual bonds between musicians.
Their debut NÉRIJA EP was originally composed, recorded and self-released following their meetings and collaborations via London’s Tomorrow’s Warriors (an innovative jazz music education and artist development organisation), but the septet truly emerged to prominence as an early staple of London’s now rightly-celebrated jazz scene, performing city wide amongst the throngs of younger jazz fans that followed the scene’s every step. Now with its respected bandleaders and players each developing their own lauded projects (Nubya Garcia, KOKOROKO, SEED Ensemble, Nardeydey, Rosie Turton Quintet and more) - as well as leading the instrumental line for the likes of Little Simz and Congo Natty – they return to Nérija with new riches of power and a debut album – Blume - perfectly encapsulating their shared experience.
+ Blume artwork by kwes.
1. Nascence - Composed by Nérija
. Solos from Sheila Maurice-Grey, Rosie Turton and Lizy Exell
2. Riverfest - Composed by Nérija Solos from Shirley Tetteh and Rio Kai
3. Last Straw - Composed by Sheila Maurice-Grey . Solos from Nubya Garcia and Sheila Maurice-Grey
4. Partner Girlfriend Lover - Composed by Shirley Tetteh. Solo from Shirley Tetteh
5. EU (Emotionally Unavailable) - Composed by Cassie Kinoshi. Solos from Cassie Kinoshi and Nubya Garcia
6. Blume - Composed by Nubya Garcia Lead line from Sheila Maurice-Grey and Nérija on vocals
7. Equanimous - Composed by Rio Kai. Solos from Rosie Turton and Shirley Tetteh
8. Swift - Composed by Lizy Exell . Solos from Lizy Exell and Cassie Kinoshi
9. Unbound - Composed by Rosie Turton . Solos from Rosie Turton and Nubya Garcia
10. Blume ii - Composed by Nubya Garcia. Lead line from Sheila Maurice-Grey and Nérija on vocals
2LP Edition includes download code Side D etched.
2LP Indie Edition LP includes download code, CRYSTAL CLEAR coloured vinyl. Side D etched.
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.