'Concrete and Glass' is the new album from Nicolas Godin, better known as one half of the French duo Air. This, his second album, features swathes of soft ambience, vocoders and lots of synths as Godin writes trademark pieces to soundtrack his favourite bits of architecture.
When Air’s Nicolas Godin released his debut solo album, 'Contrepoint' (2015), he channelled the influence of Bach into a rich, resonant and hugely rewarding spread of musical explorations. And very popular round Drift it was, too. One soundtrack ('A Very Secret Service') later, Godin builds on equally fertile conceptual foundations for the follow-up. Released through Because Music, 'Concrete and Glass' is an exquisitely crafted set of variations on architectural reference points: mounted with minimalist precision and delivered with an abundance of pop warmth, it finds Godin in his element, working seductive wonders with poise and style to spare.
For Godin, the album circles back to his formative work as half of ground-breaking French electronic group Air. Revered modern architect Le Corbusier was an influence on the young architecture graduate’s music, notably on his 1997 debut Modular Mix. Twenty-plus years later, Le Corbusier featured on a list of modernist architects Godin was invited to compose tributes for, tributes intended to be heard as the soundtrack to site-specific installations around the world.
In its soft ambient pulse and melting minimalism, lead track The Border is a perfect entry-point to Godin’s hymns to buildings, arranged and co-produced with Pierre Rousseau. Its levitating synths, vocoder vocals and scudding bass hove into view with understated elegance, all the better to accommodate the discreet slow-build of delicate details within. As with Air, Godin makes gorgeously light work of every angle: this is music that seems entirely unperturbed by gravity, occupying an elevated atmosphere of its own.
The LP format includes a CD.
1. Concrete And Glass
2. Back To Your Heart (Ft. Kate NV)
3. We Forgot Love (Ft. Kadhja Bonet)
4. What Makes Me Think Of You
5. Time On My Hands (Ft. Kirin J Callinan)
6. The Foundation (Ft. Cola Boyy)
7. Catch Yourself Falling (Ft. Alexis Taylor)
8. The Border
9. Turn Right, Turn Left
10. Cité Radieuse
- About Drift
+ Free Shipping
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering - specifically preorder items - then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items to your box, up to the point we ship it to you, but this is not automated so it's always important to tell us you are doing this.
+ Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option for you to come and collect your order in Totnes. You will be offered shipping and click & collect options during the checkout process. More info here.
* If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
* If you are adding to an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
* We aim to dispatch orders placed before 1pm, on the same day.
* We ship outside the UK with DHL.
* We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
* Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
* Royal Mail First Class services do not have tracking.
* Royal Mail Tracked 24® does include end-to-end tracking.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Royal Mail Tracked 24®
End-to-end tracking and next-day delivery
✔️ End-to-end tracking
✔️ SMS or email notifications
✔️ Next working day delivery aim
✔️ Compensation cover up to £100
✔️ Change your delivery options before delivery is attempted
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.