Chocolate City is the third album by the George Clinton led funk band Parliament, originally released in 1975. It was a “tribute to Washington D.C.”, where the group had been particularly popular. The album’s cover includes images of the United States Capitol, the Washington Monument, and the Lincoln Memorial in the form of a chocolate medallion, as well as sticker labelled “Washington DC”. The album was very popular in that city.
Chocolate City features the classic P-Funk lineup with George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Bernie Worrell, and Eddie Hazel. The Brecker Brothers, Michael and Randy, joined the band as did vocalist Glenn Goins. Prakash John plays bass on several tracks. This album also marks the beginning of the pivotal songwriting team of George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, and Bernie Worrell, a partnership that would last until the 1978.
The album is full of the uptempo funk that the band would be known for as well as the vocal harmonies of The Parliaments. 'Let Me Be' draws on jazz as well as gospel influences. 'Together' is a remake of 'Together in Heaven' by Bootsy, Phelps, and Gary. Glen Goins makes his debut P. Funk performance on 'Big Footin'.
Chocolate City reached number 18 on the Billboard soul LP charts in 1975 and reached No. 91 on the album charts. 'Chocolate City', the title track and first single, reached No. 24 on the black chart and No. 94 on the Billboard Hot 100 while 'Ride On' the second single reached No. 64 on the black chart.
1. Chocolate City
2. Ride On
4. Side Effects
5. What Comes Funky
1. Let Me Be
2. If It Don't Fit (Don't Force It)
3. I Misjudged You
4. Big Footin'
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.