Devastation is the band's second full-length. Working with St Vincent producer John Congleton in LA, they were joined by Tool bassist Justin Chancellor for the recording.
A transformation for the group, they've evolved into something all together different from their debut. Digging into more electronic influences, it's as weird and wonderful as you'd expect.
From the very first beat of ‘Fall Apart’, anyone familiar with Pumarosa can tell that a transformation has taken place. With a fast drum’n’bass inspired tattoo beating urgently beneath a sawing riff and a wide, synthesised expanse, this is a dramatic evolution from the band’s more guitar-driven debut, ‘The Witch’.
Digging deeper into electronic influences ranging from Aphex Twin and Autechre to old jungle tunes, the shock of ‘Fall Apart’ mirrors the irreversible shift in Pumarosa’s own circumstances: shattering diagnoses, new beginnings and a strange optimism - the promise of what can be built only after total annihilation - all fed into a record that feels like an exhilarating affirmation of life.
Learning to ‘Fall Apart’ may not have come easily to Pumarosa, but what’s emerged in ‘Devastation’ is an album about transformation on a more cellular level. First came the chaos: on the week ‘The Witch’ was released, the band’s lead singer Isabel Muñoz-Newsome was diagnosed with cervical cancer, with the resulting surgery and recovery totally changing her relationship to her body (and how to write about it).
Inner-band relationships also evolved following the departure of bassist Henry, which further energised Pumarosa to explore new spaces in their already-expansive sound. The band took the work to producer John Congleton in LA, whose production on the likes of St Vincent and Swans helped convince them he could bring these songs and life-changing experiences into existence. They were joined in the album recording by Tool’s Justin Chancellor who, after becoming a fan of the band from their debut, provided driving bass performances in his inimitable style.
‘Devastation’ is a powerfully uplifting album that confirms Pumarosa as one of the UK’s most inventive and ambitious bands. Songs work through questions of mortality and the pain of love while revelling in sexuality: what it feels like to ‘Fall Apart’, what it takes to carry on, and what it means to be alive.
1. Fall Apart
2. I See You
3. Lose Control
4. I Can Change
6. Adam’s Song
9. Into The Woods
10. I Am Lost
- Shipping & Delivery
- About Drift
+ Free Shipping
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering - specifically preorder items - then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items to your box, up to the point we ship it to you, but this is not automated so it's always important to tell us you are doing this.
+ Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option for you to come and collect your order in Totnes. You will be offered shipping and click & collect options during the checkout process. More info here.
* If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
* If you are adding to an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
* We aim to dispatch orders placed before 1pm, on the same day.
* We ship outside the UK with DHL.
* For all shoppers in the USA and in the EU, we offer Royal Mail's International Business Parcel Tracked service for your releases. We also offer the more premium DHL Express service.
* We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
* Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
* Royal Mail First Class services do not have tracking.
* Royal Mail Tracked 24® does include end-to-end tracking.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Royal Mail Tracked 24®
End-to-end tracking and next-day delivery
✔️ End-to-end tracking
✔️ SMS or email notifications
✔️ Next working day delivery aim
✔️ Compensation cover up to £100
✔️ Change your delivery options before delivery is attempted
International Business Parcel Tracked
✔️ Track your package every step of the way
✔️ Signature on delivery
✔️ Free tracked returns for undelivered items
✔️ Compensation cover up to £100
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.