Richard Swift believed in and sought real beauty. And so, even at its most caustic and sardonic, his masterpiece swan song 'The Hex' is beautiful. Conceived in pieces over the last several years and completed just the month before his passing, The Hex is the grand statement Swift acolytes have been a-wishin-and-a-hopin’ for all these years.
After a career of sticking some of his finest songs on EPs, here are all his powers coalescing into a single, long-player statement. At its core, 'The Hex' is an aching call out into the void for Swift’s mother (“Wendy”) and his sister (“Sister Song”) whom he lost in back-to-back years. You hear a man at his lowest and spiritually on his heels. The pain fueling Swift’s cries of “She’s never comin’ back” on the absolutely gutting standout “Nancy” is some sort of dark catharsis for anyone who’s ever lost a loved one to the cold abstraction of Death.
Over a slow, Wall of Sound kick and a warbling synth, Swift’s cries climb higher-n-higher-n-higher into what may be his most devastating vocal performance on record. A cry of pain so real and so raw Swift had to treat the performance with just a little studio effect, without which the recorded grieving might be too much to bear. 'The Hex' is presented here as “The Hex For Family and Friends.”
An obsessive fan of Wall of Sound doo-wop, early Funkadelic, Bo Diddley, Beefheart and Link Wray, Swift gives them all a moment with the flashlight around The Hex campfire, one moment to make a strange shadow-cast face for us, his family and friends.
1. The Hex
2. Broken Finger Blues
4. Dirty Jim
7. Sister Song
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.