+ We have initial stock of 'Deep Cuts Edition's featuring a live session recoded at SiriusXMU The Loft.
The preceding years have been extraordinary for Ryley Walker. In March, his second album, Primrose Green, emerged to critical hosannas from the likes of NPR, Village Voice, Uncut, and Mojo – in the process, earning admiration of musicians who had chalked up no shortage of turntable miles in Walker’s life. Robert Plant declared himself a fan – as did double-bass legend Danny Thompson, with whom Ryley would later embark on a British tour. A sprawling tour of the USA around Primrose Green presented a perfect chance to workshop ideas for what would eventually become his third studio album, Golden Sings That Have Been Sung.
On the album, “The Roundabout” represents a symbolic return to Chicago, while other songs are directly wedded to Ryley’s actual return there. Perhaps more than any other song on the record, the somnambulant sun-dappled intimacies of opening track “The Halfwit In Me” most audibly bear the imprint of Ryley’s improvisational sessions with Wilco multi-instrumentalist, Chicagoan and producer Leroy Bach, while “Funny Thing She Said” is an unflinching study of separation set to a shimmeringly supple ensemble performance.
Soft, slo-mo explosions of melody intermittently burst through the distant thunder of the verses on “A Choir Apart”. Intriguing, surreal images are meted out by “I Will Ask You Twice”, like a malfunctioning slide projector; and, perhaps best of all, the stunning finale, “Age Old Tale”, which spiders out from an Alice Coltrane-inspired reverie into a sustained rapture that very few artists have managed to achieve.
1. The Halfwit in Me
2. A Choir Apart
3. Funny Thing She Said
4. Sullen Mind
5. I Will Ask You Twice
6. The Roundabout
7. The Great and Undecided
8. Age Old Tale
9. Sullen Mind (Live at SiriusXMU The Loft) - Part 1*
10. Sullen Mind (Live at SiriusXMU The Loft) - Part 2**
* Exclusive to 2CD and 2LP - 'Deep Cuts Edition'
** Exclusive only to 2LP - 'Deep Cuts Edition'
Free Delivery on all UK orders over £50
The Drift Record Shop happily ship all items Worldwide.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
Click & Collect
On all orders we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
We try and keep all costs down and also waste as little as possible by recycling envelopes wherever we can.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.