+ Always happy to stock records by musicians who've gone to the effort of working our little ol' shop name into their album title... But! No persuasion necessary on this one as all of these people are ON FIRE.
The long-awaited debut album from emerging London-based collective SEED Ensemble.
Formed in 2016, SEED Ensemble is a ten-piece project led by composer, arranger and alto saxophonist Cassie Kinoshi. Already a giant on the UK jazz scene, she is known for her work with all-female jazz septet, Nerija, and afrobeat jazz group, Kokoroko.
Combining jazz with inner-city London, West African and Caribbean influenced groove, Cassie Kinoshi’s SEED Ensemble explores a blend of genres through both original compositions and arrangements. “SEED Ensemble is my way of celebrating the vibrant and distinctive diversity that has significantly influenced what British culture has become over the centuries.
Projecting this new musical vision are some of London’s most up-and-coming young jazz musicians essential to the modern identity of British jazz including tuba player Theon Cross, trumpeter Sheila Maurice-Grey, tenor saxophonist Chelsea Carmichael and one of London’s leading guitarists, Shirley Tetteh.
Across ‘Driftglass’, Kinoshi embraces styles both past and present to create something that we can call modern. Band members cut across race and gender with original compositions inspired by the social issues of our times.
Cassie Kinoshi – Alto Saxophone & Composer
Miguel Gorodi - Trumpet
Sheila Maurice – Grey – Trumpet
Chelsea Carmichael – Tenor Saxophone & Flute
Joe Bristow – Trombone
Theon Cross – Tuba
Joe Armon-Jones – Piano & Rhodes (WAKE (For Grenfell), Stargaze #1: KATIN, The Dreamkeeper, Interplanetary Migration)
Sarah Tandy – Piano & Rhodes (Stargaze #2: LAU, The Darkies, Mirrors, Afronaut)
Shirley Tetteh – Guitar
Rio Kai – Double Bass
Patrick Boyle – Drums
Lyrics by Langston Hughes ('The Dreamkeeper', 'W A K E (for Grenfell)'
'Stargaze #1': LAU arr. of Eric Lau’s 'Earthing Out'
Additional Vocals ('W A K E (for Grenfell)': Jason Yarde.
XANA – poetry/spoken-word.
Mr. Ekow – poetry/spoken word.
Cherise Adams-Burnett – vocals.
Album artwork by Sophie Bass.
1. The Darkies
2. Afronaut (feat. XANA)
3. Stargaze #1: KATIN
4. The Dream Keeper (feat. Cherise Adams-Burnett)
5. WAKE (For Grenfell)
6. Stargaze #2: LAU
8. Interplanetary Migration (feat. Mr Ekow)
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.