Sex Swing are the British underground supergroup that shouldn’t even exist. One member has survived a plane crash. One has survived (and won) a chess/boxing match against an opponent with the (entirely deserved) nickname ‘The Finnish Hammer’. Another has survived being struck by lightning, and one has even survived jumping out of a moving train straight into an industrial trouser-press full of cobras. (Actually that last one was made up, but the others are 100% true.) But survive they did, to bring you an album which is like a heady combination of Suicide, Joy Division, The Thing, Brainticket, Motorhead, Harmonia and “Third-era Portishead tweaking on brown acid” (according to Clash magazine).
For those of you yet to have the pleasure, Sex Swing comprises Tim Cedar (keyboards), formerly of Ligature, who fronts Part Chimp and runs Dropout Studios in Camberwell; Jason Stoll (bass), a member of both Liverpool psych champions Mugstar and Bonnacons of Doom while also running God Unknown Records; Colin Webster (sax) is involved with a plethora of free jazz projects (including Dead Neanderthals) and releases many of them through his Raw Tonk label; Dan Chandler (vocals) sang in the masterful Dethscalator and Stu Bell (drums) played in the same and Gin Palace, while newest addition Jodie Cox (guitar) currently also plays with Seattle drone metal overlords Earth.
The LP is a rising epiphany of carnal sonic force that spangles one into submission by dint of its gleeful and cleaving weight, placing the band at the forefront of the darkest and heaviest end of noisy avant psych. Imagine some hellish pan dimensional Krautrock marching band, clad in ill fitting bong water and Buckfast splattered, suits fronted by David Yow, conducted by a wildly inebriated Conny Plank and waved along by Jus Oborn and Dik Mik and you’re still not quite there. This is music that doesn’t so much ebb and flow as trounce and mangle. Boasting a staggeringly, hellishly, loud production job by Joel Eaton, Sex Swing is about primal animal body sonics.
1. A Natural Satellite
2. Grace Jones
4. The Murder of Maria Marten
5. Nighttime Worker
6. Murder Witness
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £50 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail and DPD Local.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.