Sneaks, a.k.a. Eva Moolchan, emerges from the male-dominated Baltimore-Washington punk scene, joining the resistance forged by queer black feminists who create, explore, empower, conquer, and play bass. Highway Hypnosis combines bewitching beats and invented words, to produce what Clash Magazine described as “stripped down hip-hop, skeletal post-punk, and extra-dimensional pop music.”
+ Also pressed on limited, Indie-shop-only Green coloured vinyl.
Recorded at New York’s Silent Barn in 2017, Highway Hypnosis was co-produced by Carlos Hernandez (of Ava Luna), Tony Seltzer (Princess Nokia), and Eva Moolchan herself. A glimmering anthem shrouded in an atmosphere of darkness, her first single “Beliefs” drops its bass along with a call to arms for all non-believers whose mantra is assigned: “Remove your beliefs and start again / ’cause all I wanna do is start again.” Among laughter samples and charming vocals featured on the album lie one club banger, your little sister’s anti-meat school lunch protest song, a 55-second epic bass surprise, and a Jacknife Lee (Taylor Swift, Bat for Lashes, R.E.M.) production credit on “Hong Kong to Amsterdam.”
“We need more artists like this. It’s true and honest and clear and mighty.” Jacknife Lee
“Critics can’t seem to decide where Sneaks fit. Eva Moolchan’s music has been labeled punk, post-punk, hip-hop, synth-pop, and more, and this record has drawn comparisons to everyone from Gang of Four to Sleaford Mods and Aphex Twin. What’s more, Moolchan has achieved this using just bass guitar, drum machine and pokerfaced, almost spoken word vocals.” Bandcamp Best Albums of 2017 (of It’s a Myth)
“It’s a bizarre approach to post-punk, but the sheer immediacy will intrigue and confound you. And then make you dance.” Newsweek Overlooked Albums of 2017 (of It’s a Myth).
01 Highway Hypnosis
02 The Way It Goes
04 Suck It Like a Whistle
07 Money Don’t Grow on Trees
09 Holy Cow Never Saw a Girl Like Her
11 And We’re Off
12 A Lil Close
13 Hong Kong to Amsterdam
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £50 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail and DPD Local.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.