Sturgill Simpson delivers the self produced 'A Sailor’s Guide To Earth', the follow-up to his 2014 album Metamodern Sounds in Country Music.
In a press release, Simpson discussed his inspiration for the record:
I really questioned whether I wanted to spend however many more years on this bus, not being there and seeing all that was happening. That’s where this record came from, just processing all that guilt and homesickness. I had to figure out a way to put that into music, so I decided to write the whole record from the perspective of a sailor going to sea and not knowing if he's ever coming home. I remembered an old letter that I read, written by my Grandfather Ora to my grandmother when he was in the Army. He was in the South Pacific during World War II, and he thought he was going to die. So he wrote a goodbye letter to her and their newborn son. He finally made it home five years later.
He added: I knew I wanted to make a concept record in song-cycle form, like my favorite Marvin Gaye records where everything just continuously flows. I also wanted it to be something that when my son is older and maybe I'm gone, he can listen to it and get a sense of who I was. I just wanted to talk as directly to him as possible.
Recorded primarily at Nashville’s ‘The Butcher Shoppe’, Simpson was joined in the studio by Grammy Award-winning engineer David Ferguson (Johnny Cash, John Prime, ‘Cowboy’ Jack Clement) and assistant engineer Sean Sullivan. Along with members of his touring band, the album features Dave Roe on bass, Dan Dugmore on steel guitar, Dougie Wilkinson on bagpipes, Garo Yellin and Arthur Cook on cello, Jonathan Dinklage and Whitney LaGrange on violin and special guests The Dap-Kings.
01. Welcome to Earth (Pollywog)
02. Breakers Roar
03. Keep It Between the Lines
04. Sea Stories
05. In Bloom
06. Brace for Impact (Live a Little)
07. All Around You
08. Oh Sarah
09. Call to Arms
Free Delivery on all UK orders over £50
The Drift Record Shop happily ship all items Worldwide.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
Click & Collect
On all orders we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
We try and keep all costs down and also waste as little as possible by recycling envelopes wherever we can.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.