Esben's side immediately reaches a fever pitch as 'No Dog' drags itself up from the primordial ooze of Sonic Youth's early years mastery of cacophony and dissonance, underpinned by the volatile rhythmic propulsion of Fugazi or Hoover. The lone voice left unadorned in the eye of the storm comes from bassist and vocalist Rachel Davies, who summons up the fiery catharsis of Chelsea Wolfe or Sharon Van Etten. The trio's other contribution here, 'Butoh', pursues an altogether more tribal path, kicking up a fury and intensity rarely matched this side of the pond these days.
Thought Forms find an equally cathartic voice across their four songs, but achieve it by totally different means: dressing their tracks up with the swirling swathes of guitar you'd expect from the dreamier edges of the '80s US lexicon. 'For the Moving Stars' jolts forward from the off with the sort of driving, hypnotic lead lines you'd expect from J Mascis, that is were he armed with Steve Turner's pedal collection. 'Your Bones', meanwhile, is a disarming slow-burner that creeps its way into the back of your mind, erupting from what could have been an early Low cut into an uphill battle against tumbling drums and guitars that crackle like a bonfire on a crisp Autumn night. In an age where music - outside of healthy fetishist niches - feels more and more dominated by digital formats, the LP serves as a love letter to shelves and record store bins stacked with hidden gems. If the music is anything to go by though, this is far from bargain basement fodder.
1. Thought Forms - 'Your Bones'
2. Thought Forms - 'Sound Of Violence'
3. Thought Forms - 'For The Moving Stars'
4. Thought Forms - 'Silver Kiss'
5. Esben And The Witch - 'No Dog'
6. Esben And The Witch - 'Butoh'
Free Delivery on all UK orders over £50
The Drift Record Shop happily ship all items Worldwide.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
Click & Collect
On all orders we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
We try and keep all costs down and also waste as little as possible by recycling envelopes wherever we can.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.