The CD format is expected in stock on 5th November 2019
The recordings on this album were made in Texas prison farms in July 1964. Bruce Jackson had gone there in the hope of recording black convict work-songs, a tradition that derived from slavery, and, before that, was imported from Africa.
Many of the prisons in Texas, Mississippi and Louisiana where such songs had been sung, had been built on the sites of slaverytime plantations. It was as if the owners changed, but not much else.
Bruce found far more than worksongs. Prison is a place where people live: when they go there, they bring with them pieces of free world culture, just as someone migrating from one country to another brings cultural knowledge and practice to the new home.
In addition to the worksongs, he heard spirituals, blues, toasts (recited poems), and much more. In this LP, , he tries to give a sense of that range of material. (In other recordings, he would focus on work songs, toasts, and personal narrative.)
This iconic album has now been re-mastered and features the original artwork in full.
Recorded and edited by Bruce Jackson
Cover by Eric Von Schmidt
Remastered by Nick Blagona, 2019
+ LP Includes 22 page lyric book and download code for complete album
1. Raise ’Em Up Higher
2. Don't Look So Downhearted, Buddy
3. Move Along ’Gator
4. Three Moore Brothers
5. Assassination of the President
6. Don’t Be Uneasy
8. Hammer Ring
9. T.B. Bees
10. If You See My Mother
11. Just Like a Tree Planted by the Water
12. See How They Done My Lord
13. Daniel in the Lions’ Den
14. Forty-four Hammers
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.