Odyssey: The Sound Of Ivor Raymonde Volume II is Bella Union’s follow-up to the critically acclaimed 'Paradise: The Sound Of Ivor Raymonde'. The new compilation is a further celebration of the great British arranger, musical director, producer and songwriter Ivor Raymonde, who died at age 63 in 1990. Bella Union, the label behind both releases, is run by Ivor’s son Simon Raymonde.
Like Paradise, Odyssey has been compiled by Simon with author, journalist and music historian Kieron Tyler. Simon explains that: “The research Kieron and I did for Paradise showed us that there was still an extremely rich seam of his music to be uncovered. A follow-up volume was increasingly inevitable.” Paradise told the story of a British musical great for the first time. Classic Sixties hits like Billy
Fury’s “Halfway To Paradise”, Dusty Springfield’s “I Only Want To Be With You” (co-written by Ivor) and The Walker Brothers’ “Make It Easy On Yourself” were collected. All were arranged or produced by Ivor and heard alongside just-as-fantastic tracks by David Bowie, Sonny Childe, Cindy Cole, Tom Jones, Los Bravos and Helen Shapiro. Music biz insiders knew Ivor Raymonde’s significance. At the end of 1966, the American trade magazine Billboard ranked
him one place above Atlantic Records’ Jerry Wexler in their annual world-wide survey of the top independent producers.
Odyssey is additional confirmation of the seemingly limitless scope of Ivor’s talents. More hits are featured: the Alan Price Set’s irresistible Top Five interpretation of Randy Newman’s “Simon Smith And The Amazing Dancing Bear”, Dusty Springfield’s kinetic “Little By Little”, Frankie Vaughan’s epic chart topper “Tower Of Strength” and the aural drama of Marty Wilde And His Wildcats’ “Endless Sleep”. There are also lesser-known tracks by best-sellers: Los Bravos’ Raymonde-composed soul stomper “Brand New Baby”, Cat Stevens’ moody
“Blackness Of The Night” and the extraordinary 1966 Walker Brothers’ album track “Where's The Girl”, which pointed to where the solo Scott Walker would soon be heading.
Ivor Raymonde also worked with American stars who, while visiting the UK, recorded in London. Roy Orbison’s September 1963 session with Ivor resulted in the Xmas hit “Pretty Paper”. Del Shannon became the first American to cover a Beatles song when he made “From Me To You” with Ivor. Although Ivor Raymonde was a back-room figure, he made the Top 30 in early 1963 as the
clandestine vocalist with The Chucks – a studio demo had been made with no intention of it ending up in record shops. Then, it was issued and a band name needed. Ivor plumped for The Chucks and “Loo-Be-Loo” began rising up the charts. On Odyssey, it is at last given its context.
1. Dusty Springfield: Little By Little
2. Alan Price Set Simon: Smith And The Amazing Dancing Bear
3. Los Bravos: Brand New Baby
4. The Eyes Of Blue: Don’t Ask Me To Mend Your Broken Heart
5. The Chants: Wearing A Smile
6. Susan Maughan: That Other Place
7. Kathy Kirby: The Way Of Love
8. Cat Stevens: Blackness Of The Night
9. Paul Slade: Odyssey
10. Frankie Vaughan: Tower Of Strength
11. The Martells: Time To Say Goodnight
12. The Cryin’ Shames: Please Stay
13. Roy Orbison: Pretty Paper
14. The Outlaws: Swingin’ Low
15. Ronnie Carroll Chain Gang
16. Del Shannon: From Me To You
17. The Chucks: Loo-Be-Loo
18. Olé Jose & The Golden Leaves: Tequila 68
19. The Rogues: Memories Of Missy
20. Marty Wilde And His Wildcats: Endless Sleep
21. Giles, Giles & Fripp: Thursday Morning
22. Twinkle: Michael Hannah
23. Christopher Colt: Girl In The Mirror
24. The Stylistics: I Feel Lucky Tonight
25. The Walker Brothers: Where's The Girl
- About Drift
+ Free Shipping
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering - specifically preorder items - then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items to your box, up to the point we ship it to you, but this is not automated so it's always important to tell us you are doing this.
+ Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option for you to come and collect your order in Totnes. You will be offered shipping and click & collect options during the checkout process. More info here.
* If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
* If you are adding to an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
* We aim to dispatch orders placed before 1pm, on the same day.
* We ship outside the UK with DHL.
* We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
* Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
* Royal Mail First Class services do not have tracking.
* Royal Mail Tracked 24® does include end-to-end tracking.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Royal Mail Tracked 24®
End-to-end tracking and next-day delivery
✔️ End-to-end tracking
✔️ SMS or email notifications
✔️ Next working day delivery aim
✔️ Compensation cover up to £100
✔️ Change your delivery options before delivery is attempted
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.