Fantastically in-depth sleevenotes featuring band interviews and exclusive photographs.
All tracks sonically remastered.
Initially a marginalised phenomenon, the underground grunge scene of Washington had barely a handful of adherents, strung out in isolated towns across the vast state of Washington. In those early days bands who showed an allegiance to their roots of punk risked social ostracism and worse, yet this community of outsiders produced the biggest band in the world in 1991.
The unforeseen success of Nirvana turned the record label Sub Pop from an underground phenomenon into the key back story of mainstream music's must-read tales of the 90s: it became a new Motown, substituting Seattle for Detroit. Kurt Cobain's death froze this saga into musical history forever more.
While taking nothing away from Nirvana or from Sub Pop, this release presents the complexity of the music scene of the North-West in its most infamous era. Rather than celebrating the (undeniable) talent of one band, one label, one city, this release ravels up the simple thread of music history and takes pleasure in its more tangled knots.
In the late 80s and early 90s, the musical fire raging in Seattle burned so bright that no one could see pinpricks of light dotting the entire state of Washington. Beyond Seattle, the North-West skies were similarly ablaze with music and creativity.
This compilation features some of the divergent bands emerging out of the North-West during this era. Intensely researched and documented, it features bands who have now disappeared from history, after releasing maybe just a couple of singles, or an album, or never even making it onto vinyl, alongside bands who continue to this day.
Vinyl Tracklisting - LP1
1. Starfish - This Town
2. Vampire Lezbos - Stop Killing The Seals
3. Nubbin - Windyyy
4. Saucer - Jail Ain't Stoppin' Us
5. Machine - Blind Man's Holiday
6. Medelicious - Beverly
7. Hitting Birth - Same 18
8. Nubbin - Wonderama
1. Crunchbird - Woodstock Unvisited
2. The Ones - Talk To Me
3. Pod - 123
4. Thrillhammer - Alice's Palace
5. Yellow Snow - Take Me For A Ride
6. Helltrout - Precious Hyde
Vinyl Tracklisting - LP2
1. Bundle Of Hiss - Wench
2. Starfish - Run Around
3. Thrillhammer - Bleed
4. Chemistry Set - Fields
5. My Name - Voice Of A Generation Gap
6. Small Stars - It's Getting Late
7. Shug - AM FM
1. Treehouse - Debbie Had A Dream
2. My Name - Why I Fight
3. Soylent Green - It Smiles
4. Kill Sybil - Best
5. Calamity Jane - Magdalena
6. Saucer - Chicky Chicky Frown
7. Attica - The System
Free Delivery on all UK orders over £50
The Drift Record Shop happily ship all items Worldwide.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
Click & Collect
On all orders we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
We try and keep all costs down and also waste as little as possible by recycling envelopes wherever we can.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.