A compilation of some of the great artists who've been influenced by the late and inspiring Andy Gill of Gang of Four. Such a touching tribute and celebration of a wonderfully talented British musician and producer who was taken too soon.
The Problem of Leisure: A Celebration of Andy Gill and Gang of Four is a double album of tracks written by Andy Gill and Gang of Four, all newly reinterpreted and recorded by artists whose own unique contributions to music were enriched by listening to Gang of Four.
The album features songs from across Gang of Four’s 40-plus year career, each individually chosen by the artists who covered them.
Andy Gill originally conceived of the album to mark the 40th anniversary of the release of Entertainment! in 2019.
His widow, Catherine Mayer, explains that this plan had already changed by the time of Andy’s death in 2020, after some artists chose tracks from different albums and periods.
“Andy was massively excited about this project,” Mayer says. “It wasn’t of course conceived as a tribute album, but it’s comforting to me that he lived to see artists he hugely admired enthusiastically agreeing to participate, signalling that the admiration was mutual.”
1. Idles - Damaged Goods
2. Tom Morello & Serj Tankian - Natural’s Not In It
3. Helmet - In the Ditch
4. 3D x Gang of Four feat. Nova Twins - Where The Nightingale Sings
5. Hotei - To Hell With Poverty
6. Gary Numan - Love Like Anthrax
7. Gail Ann Dorsey - We Live As We Dream Alone
8. Herbert Grönemeyer feat. Alex Silva - I Love A Man in a Uniform
9. LoneLady - Not Great Men
10. JJ Sterry - 5.45
11. La Roux - Damaged Goods
12. Everything Everything - Natural’s Not In It
13. Dado Villa-Lobos - Return The Gift
14. The Dandy Warhols - What We All Want
15. Warpaint - Paralysed
16. Flea & John Frusciante - Not Great Men
17. The Sounds - I Love a Man in Uniform
18. Hardcore Raver in Tears - Last Mile
19. Killing Joke x Gang of Four - Forever Starts Now (Killing Joke Dub)
20. Sekar Melati - Not Great Men (live version)
The album artwork has been created by English artist Damien Hirst, a long-time friend of Andy’s. Btw, each edition has a different coloured goggly eyed dog on the sleeve.
- Shipping Info
- About Drift
In the UK we offer Royal Mail Tracked 24/48®, Click & Collect at the shop and Free Shipping on orders over £85.
Worldwide we ship with International Business Parcel Tracked and DHL.
+ Full information on our shipping options can be read here.
+ There is a shipping calculator in the basket to give you a clear guide of our rates and available services based on your location.
Nominated 'Best Independent Retailer' at the Music Week Awards in 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
Nominated "Indie Champions" at the 2015 AIM Awards.