Limited edition orange vinyl with download code.
The story began nearly a decade ago when Song, By Toad was a music blog rather than a record label. In 2007 Matthew Young came across a chance to interview gravel-voiced Texan singer-songwriter Micah P. Hinson and legendary American collective Willard Grant Conspiracy. "I was a novice interviewer who clearly had no idea what he was doing, but I knew their music inside out and had genuine enthusiasm. They both very kindly let me get away with it and politely steered the conversation into interesting places, so I would have something worthwhile to write.” Ten years on and many gigs later, both bands found themselves in Edinburgh, accepting Matthew’s invitation “to lay some songs” for Song, By Toad Records.
Tissø Lake's Ian Humblestone and Song, By Toad's head honcho have also known each other for some time. There was even talk of doing an album together. In the end, Tissø Lake self-released their beautiful fjord-inspired LP Paths to the Foss but the Song, By Toad Records split 12” offered an opportunity to work together in a different context.
As is the case with other Song, By Toad collaborations, Matthew's been a fan of Kitchen Cynics for many years. Brought to live by the cult acid folk artist Alan Davidson, the project is defined by its idiosyncratic storytelling and dark histories reflected in the extensive back catalogue brimming with titles like Aberdeen Typhoid Outbreak of 1964 and Owls in her Eyes.
1. Willard Grant Conspiracy - Light a Candle
2. Tissø Lake - When Work is Done
3. Micah P. Hinson - Spaceman
4. Kitchen Cynics - Venus on a Buckie
5. Willard Grant Conspiracy - The Only Child
6. Tissø Lake - The Mist on the Lake
7. Kitchen Cynics - The Place You Hid
8. Micah P. Hinson - Changes
9. Tissø Lake - I Am Like a Lake
10. Willard Grant Conspiracy - Love You Apart
11. Kitchen Cynics - Francis Masson, Botanist
12. Micah P. Hinson - Everlasting Arms
Free Delivery on all UK orders over £50
The Drift Record Shop happily ship all items Worldwide.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
Click & Collect
On all orders we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
We try and keep all costs down and also waste as little as possible by recycling envelopes wherever we can.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.