Wide-eyed and hyper-aware, WIVES' sound pulses with urgency. The quartet are the latest fit in a long lineage of New York's gritty, melodic-tinged punk-hook-driven, grungy dark-wave that's tethered to daily anxiety without resorting to cynicism. Both the noisy dissonance of Sonic Youth and the clever, cerebral sneering of The Fall simmer as touchstones within the band's music.
'Waving Past Nirvana' trudges forward, a sort of thesis for WIVES' sound. It delves unabashedly into feeling removed, its narrator rejecting spiritual enlightenment, literally 'waving past nirvana'. The swaggering cut pulls from the swaying beat of '80s rap, while the chorus jumps forward a decade into a grunge-tinged, anthemic roar.
The band's vocalist, guitarist and primary songwriter, Jay Beach offers: "'Waving Past Nirvana' is a literal interpretation of the bodhisattva—one who has achieved the release, the awakened eye, and yet wants to trade it back for the painful life of desire because she/he/they predominantly feels compassion. This "entering back into the world" to fight a fool's battle is the essence of 'Waving Past Nirvana', and the video depicts one young woman's journey along these lines."
Said video comes directed by Milah Libin (Beach Fossils, Princess Nokia), who adds, "When I listened to 'Waving Past Nirvana' it evoked the beauty and the mundane in a never-ending routine. The closeness to finding some sort of fulfillment, or "nirvana," that keeps bringing one back. It happens to all types of people, but particularly in New York where the beat is so fast and so many come here searching. It's not quite sad; there's something admirable in that search – a sort of dedication.”
WIVES are: Jay Beach (guitar, vocals), Andrew Bailey (guitar), Alex Crawford (bass), Adam Sachs (drums).
A1. Waving Past Nirvana
B1. Kinda Like You
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.