Originally released in the space year 1982, 'I, Assassin' is Gary Numan’s sixth studio album and fourth under his own name.
Combining fretless bass with heavy rock drumming, the king Numanoid further refined his dark, sparse, funky-electro style, mixing it with impenetrable, slurred vocals.
Numan recorded and wrote most of the music between January and March 1982, following his infamous round-the-world trip in a light aircraft and a near-death crash onto a British road while co-piloting a spiralling Cessna. Three of the album’s songs made it into the UK top 20.
According to Numan, who was still only 24-years-old at the time, “the round-the-world flight, the plane crash, these were big things that helped me shape a new opinion of myself. Those experiences gave me a self-confidence, a genuine strength that I hadn’t had before.”
Twenty years later, the singer enthused, “I still think it’s one of the best albums I’ve made.” 'I, Assassin’s heavily percussive approach led to several tracks becoming unexpected intruders on American dancefloors, notably the 12” single of “Music For Chameleons” and a specially remixed U.S. version of “White Boys And Heroes.”
'I, Assassin' stands out as a record fiercely propelled by powerful rhythms in songs laced with an earthy cynicism.
“'I, Assassin' also utilises the warped elasticity of fretless bass lines underneath his customary monotone vocalising and abstract lyricism. Highlighted by the upbeat synthetic funk of “We Take Mystery To Bed” & “White Boys”, I, Assassin is an in-depth examination of genuine dance music roots.” - URB Magazine
White Boys and Heroes
A Dream Of Siam
Music For Chameleons
This Is My House
The 1930’s Rust
We Take Mystery (To Bed)
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.