* 3xLP housed in slip case w/ 3 tip-on jackets, 20-page book, and download card
Forget everything you know, or think you know, about new age, a genre that has become one of the defining musical-archaeological explorations of the past decade.
'I Am The Center: Private Issue New Age In America, 1950-1990' is the first major anthology to survey the golden age of new age and reveal the unbelievable truth about the genre.
For new age, at its best, is a reverberation of psychedelic music, and great by any standard. This is analog, handmade music communicating soul and spirit, often done on limited means and without commercial potential, self-published and self-distributed. Before it became big business and devolved into the spaced out elevator music we know and loathe today, this was the real thing.
From mathematical musical algorithms to airport murder mysteries to Henry Mancini and Bugs Bunny, the connections to mainstream culture run in curious directions. (Did you know, for instance, that a track from the first modern private press new age album is featured on the Blade Runner soundtrack? It's called "Pompeii, 76 AD"?, and we've got it here.)
'I Am The Center' is a knowing, but never cynical overview that invites listeners at last to the mainspring of a misunderstood genre's greatest lights. Many of the biggest names are present - Iasos, inter-dimentional channeler of "paradise music"?; Laraaji, discovered by Brian Eno playing for spare change in Washington Square Park; and the recently famous JD Emmanuel, icon to a new generation of drone, ambient, noise musicians. Call it what you will - before it was anything else, it was new age.
Lovingly conceived and lavishly presented, 'I Am The Center' features stunning paintings by the legendary visual artist Gilbert Williams, and liner notes by producer Douglas Mcgowan, who weaves the words and images of the wizards and sorceresses of new age into a prismatic portrait of music that can finally be recognized for what it is: great American folk art.
1. The Struggle Of The Magicians Part Three - Gurdjieff / De Hartmann
2. Pompeii 76 AD - Gail Laughton
3. Gongs In The Rain - Nesta Kerin Crain
4. Witch's Will - Wilburn Burchette
5. Iasos - Formentera Sunset Clouds
6. Seventh Chakra Keynote B (violet) - Steven Halpern
7. Seraphic Borealis - Joel Andrews
8. Om Mani Padme Hum - Constance Demby
9. Arabian Fantasy - Daniel Emmanuel
10. Awakening (excerpt) - Don Slepian
11. Unicorns In Paradise (excerpt) - Laraaji
12. Glide V - Peter Davison
13. Lifting Off - Joanna Brouk
14. As The Earth Kissed The Moon (excerpt) - Michael Stearns
15. Tien Fu: Heaven's Gate (excerpt) - Aeoliah
16. Blue Spirals - Daniel Kobialka
17. Two Souls Dance - Larkin
18. Li Sun - Judith Tripp
19. Lunar Eclipse (excerpt) - Mark Banning
20. Waterfall Winds - Alice Damon
Free Delivery on all UK orders over £50
The Drift Record Shop happily ship all items Worldwide.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am on the same day.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
Click & Collect
On all orders we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
We try and keep all costs down and also waste as little as possible by recycling envelopes wherever we can.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.