'Songs For Judy' is thoroughly engaging collection of live acoustic performances culled from Neil's November 1976 solo tour and features twenty-two songs recorded at various cities along the tour.
This song cycle of live recordings is particularly powerful and unique. Young had spent much of the year traveling around the world on tour with Crazy Horse. When touring on his own, he recharged and focused on songs that would not surface in recorded form for several years. Of the albums many treasures, "No One Seems To Know" would not see the light of day until now and it remains unreleased in any other iteration.
The raw versions of the tracks found on 'Songs For Judy' reflect an artist completely unvarnished and unafraid to allow the songs to breath and to find their own shape when performed in a solo setting. Songs written in that era would come into focus and then seemingly disappear only to re-enter Young's orbit somewhere down the road. "White Line" and "Give Me Strength" are such examples of finding the light in 1990 and 2017 respectively. It's also fascinating to hear Young revisit early gems such as Springfield's "Mr. Soul" ('67), "Here We Are In The Years" ('68), and "The Losing End" ('69) from some of his earliest solo recordings which remain as timeless as ever.
'Songs For Judy' is the debut release on Shakey Pictures Records, Young’s own imprint distributed by Reprise Records.
01 Songs for Judy (Intro)
02 Too Far Gone
03 No One Seems to Know
04 Heart of Gold
05 White Line
06 Love Is a Rose
07 After the Gold Rush
08 Human Highway
09 Tell Me Why
10 Mr. Soul
11 Mellow My Mind
12 Give Me Strength
13 A Man Needs a Maid
14 Roll Another Number
15 Journey Through the Past
18 Old Laughing Lady
19 The Losing End
20 Here We Are In the Years
21 The Needle and the Damage Done
23 Sugar Mountain
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.