The fourth instalment in The Wedding Present’s popular ‘Marc Riley Sessions’ series. The Wedding Present are a band with a history that’s inextricably intertwined with the BBC and, in particular, the late DJ John Peel, an early champion of the band.
The first four tracks on the album were recorded with a string quartet and trumpeter and include a remarkable re-imagining of 'Bewitched', originally from the band’s 1989 album 'Bizarro'. For The Wedding Present’s ninth Marc Riley session they decided to include a couple of songs from the recently released 'Going, Going...' album.
This LP features additional orchestration and so they thought it would be exciting to revisit an augmented, Cinerama-style, set-up in order to play live at the BBC’s historic Maida Vale studios. But one of the songs we recorded on that day predates 'Going, Going...' by nearly three decades. 'Bewitched' has always had a symphonic feel to it and we thought it would also benefit from an orchestral lick of paint.
Ironically, for the other session on this LP, the band were stripped down to their most basic again, to thunder through punky tunes like 'Felicity', 'Getting Nowhere Fast' and - the song that announced The Wedding Present to the world - 'Go Out And Get ’Em, Boy!' This new version of that song from their debut release is followed here by renditions of songs on their most recent single; such is the time-contracting effect of a Wedding Present Marc Riley session!
1. Scotland (The ‘Home Internationals’ EP - 2017)
2. Fifty-Six ('Going, Going…' - 2016)
3. Fordland ('Going, Going…' - 2016)
4. Bewitched ('Bizarro' - 1989)
5. Go Out And Get ’Em, Boy! ('Tommy' - 1988) (Introduced By John Peel Himself)
6. Panama ('Jump In, The Water’s Fine' / 'Panama’ 7” - 2019)
7. Getting Nowhere Fast ('George Best' - 1987)
8. Felicity ('Tommy' - 1988)
9. Jump In, The Water’s Fine (‘Jump In, The Water’s Fine / Panama’ 7” - 2019)
- About Drift
We offer free delivery on orders of £75 and over, sent within mainland UK. To qualify for free delivery, your order will be sent as one dispatch. If your order includes items that are not in stock at the point of ordering, specifically preorder items, then please expect to wait until all items are available to ship as one delivery. If you are waiting for a box to ship, you are most welcome to add more items ('top up') to your box, up to the point we ship it to you.
Click & Collect
On all orders, we offer a Click & Collect option to avoid unnecessary carriage if you feel like coming and seeing us at the shop in Totnes. Click the Pick up at Drift button during the checkout and you will bypass all shipping during payment.
• If you purchase a pre-order item amongst an order of in-stock releases, we will typically hold your box until all items are in stock.
• If you are 'topping up' an order, we advise you contact us when placing the additional order to make sure we notice.
• We aim to dispatch orders placed before 11am, on the same day.
• We ship all UK orders with Royal Mail, DHL and Parcelforce.
• We ship outside the UK with DHL.
• We are unable to ship orders on Sundays or Bank Holidays.
• Although we use all reasonable means to ensure that your order is delivered within a specified time, we cannot accept any responsibility for late deliveries due to circumstances outside of our control. We will do our best to inform you of any unexpected delay.
If you have any questions about shipping or delivery, get in touch.
Come meet us, or have us ship you something in the post.